We connect students and school communities with the food they eat. Students engage in planning, building and maintaining school gardens, connecting with local food and farmers, cooking demonstrations and nutrition lessons.
Current Participating Schools and Farm to School Projects
- Nehalem Elementary School
- Garibaldi Grade School
- South Prairie Elementary School
- Tillamook Junior High School
- Nestucca Valley Early Learning Center
- Nestucca Valley Elementary School
- Neskowin Valley School
Our Farm to School Activities:
- Food Roots at School Year Open Houses – Come ask us questions and talk to us directly about engagement.
- Tasting Tables – We will have local and Oregon grown products for students to taste and learn about how and where products were produced.
- Farm Field Trips/Farmer to School Visits – Classes will visit a local farm, or farmers will visit students in their classrooms.
- Family Garden Engagement Events – Food Roots will host a number of family engagement activities at schools; parents and families can see first hand the benefits of school gardens, and will get to taste and take home local produce.
- School to Market – A select few classrooms will participate in lessons from food production to harvesting, marketing and direct farm sales at a local farmers market.
Additionally, in partnership with FoodCorps and Oregon Department of Agriculture, we will have regular farm to school lessons that focus on science, technology, engineering and math standards. A few lessons include:
- Hands on and experiential learning through garden-based activities such as plant seeding and transplanting, weeding, cultivation, harvesting, and other direct activities related to growing and utilizing a garden
- Hands on cooking and nutrition lessons using produce grown from school gardens with recipes to take home
- Connecting garden observation to language art skills through writing and peer story sharing
- Agricultural heritage of Tillamook County
Contact for more information:
Rachel Pettit, Food Roots Farm to School Coordinator